Friday, January 24, 2014

Tomato, Corn, and 'Crab' Chowder


This is a recipe I developed out of laziness. I did NOT want to go to the store in the cold. So, I combed the kitchen for anything that could be thrown together, and called a meal. This rarely happens, because I like to have a plan, but like I said, it was too cold for this mama. What I came up with, on this particular evening, I originally called a bisque, but by definition I believe it is more of a chowder, so I'm rolling with that. This yummy little dish quickly made it's way into our rotation of favorites, and it's easily doubled for our family of 5. It's simple. It's tasty.


Ingredients:
1 can petite diced tomato (undrained)
1 can cream style corn
1 cup of milk (or cream)
a splash or two of cooking sherry
1 1/2 tsp of Old Bay Seasoning
a pinch of flour
8oz imitation crab (you could use real crab, if you're fancy)
2 tbsp grated parmesan

Directions:
Throw the diced tomato, cream corn, and sherry into a pot, over medium low heat. Gradually stir in the milk. Add the Old Bay and flour, stirring until flour is clearly incorporated. Reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the parmesan, and crumble the crab into the chowder. Heat through, about 5 minutes. That's it. The sprig of herb in the above picture is purely for show.






No comments:

Post a Comment