Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pork and Beer Chili

This one happens to be my favorite. My kids love it with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar, and my husband likes a dollop of sour cream in his, but I love this baby as is. I joke that the idea came to me in a dream, but it really did just hit me one day. Love when that happens. This recipe serves 6-8.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 boneless, center cut pork chops (about 1.25 lb total), cut into bite size pieces 
1 onion (I use vidalia), diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 12oz bottle of good brown ale (I use New Castle)
1 15oz can plain tomato sauce
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 15.5oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15.5oz can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 & 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground, dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 tbsp. lime juice

Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, pork, and onion. Cook until the pork is cooked through, and the onion is translucent, adding the garlic in the last couple of minutes.


Pour in the beer and let cook 1-2 minutes. Then, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and kidney beans.


Mix together the chili powder, cumin, ground mustard, and salt. Add it to the pot, stir, COVER, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 


Add the lime juice, stir, recover, and let simmer another 10 minutes.


Serve as is, or with sour cream or shredded cheese. Yummy!

1 comment: