Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day in the Life: Our Typical Homeschool Tuesday

I promised to do one of these, once a week, for 5 weeks, highlighting a different day each time. This is installment number two.


It was a wet and yucky day, which changed our plans, but that's part of life. It was still a fairly typical Tuesday, so it meets the criteria I set for myself, in this 'Day in the Life' series. 

This is our day, on April 8, 2014. It was a fairly typical Tuesday, or at least a typical rainy day.

My day started earlier than the others'. After getting breakfast in the oven, I sat on the back porch, watching the rain, sipping coffee, and checking the news.

Once the kids were up, they had breakfast (baked oatmeal with bananas and a drizzle of maple syrup), did their morning chores (feed the cats, empty the dishwasher, and take out the trash), and washed up for the day. I declared it pajama day, so no one got dressed!

Then, it was down to business. My daughter started with spelling and language arts, my oldest son did his algebra (with the help of an online tutor program), and my youngest son worked in one of his workbooks.

Next, my daughter had a math lesson, followed by answering some problems from her math text book. My 14 year old knocked out some civics. My preschooler put out a few pretend fires in the play room.

We had planned to meet some fellow homeschoolers at a local park, for some PE and a picnic lunch. However, even though the rain had stopped by lunch time, it was far too wet. So we moms rescheduled for later in the week, and my kids did some basic calisthenics (jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, bear crawls, lunges, etc.), in the hallway for PE. 

Lunch was easy, as I already had it packed for our scheduled afternoon at the park. Homemade chicken salad, wheat crackers, slices of cheese, and frozen grapes were on the menu.

After lunch, my daughter had an online drum lesson, my oldest had an online Spanish lesson, and my youngest sat on his sister's bed, watching her drum lesson. Lol!

Then, we did a little anatomy. 

After science, I whipped up some cheddar popcorn and we watched a great documentary by National Geographic, titled "The New World: Nightmare in Jamestown", as part of the Colonial America unit study I've pieced together, in preparation for our upcoming field trip to Colonial Williamsburg and Historic Jamestowne.

We ended our rainy Tuesday, as we end all our homeschool days, with some reading.

This is where our homeschool day ends, and our family evening begins. I have a few chores to knock out, then I'll cook dinner, we'll eat as a family (once my husband arrives home), do some dishes, spend some time together, maybe a little tv, wash up, and head to bed. It was a good Tuesday. 

1 comment: